Talk Roswell  

Go Back   Talk Roswell > Roswell NM [Discussion Only]: > Roswell Economical Developement
United States Flag
New Mexico Flag
Home Page TRAC Online News Arcade Radio and TV FAQ/Help Donate Calendar Forum Links
The links above and below are called the (Menu Bar)
Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Roswell Economical Developement Topics relating to all economic development efforts, boards, commissions, and groups.

*** To help support Talk Roswell PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE. Thank You! ***

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 350 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE
Donate to support this site using PayPal. PayPal Your donation will be used to pay for our ever increasing bandwidth costs, our hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, maintenance costs and will help to advertise TalkRoswell. If you want to donate using a Check or Money Order please mail to Talk Roswell 1605 West 2nd Street Suite 2 Roswell, NM 88201. Please include your Forum user name.
Your donation will give you access to (The VIP Lounge) for the same period of time as if you had used the Paid Subscription Area.
Note: No one makes any money from TalkRoswell - all donations will be used for operation and advertising.

Unread 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Default railroad spur

Can anyone tell me why the taxpayers are going to pay for a railroad spur in Roswell.

Other than wool once a year, is anything shipped from Roswell via rail.

Is anything shipped to Roswell via rail?

If the spur is necessary why does'nt the railroad company pay for it?

Why does the extra heavy cars need to be parked at Roswell?
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Default Re: railroad spur

That lumber supply place off Atkinson gets a rail car load every now and then. I know, I was caught by them shuffling cars around a few days ago dropping one off. Where is this spur supposed to be?...O.L.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
VIP Member

Virginia Ave. and Fifth Street.

Total cost $$217,000.00. The funds will come from from the NM Economic Developement($99,000.00), $95,000.00 from the city's coffers, and the railroad will chip in $24,000.00.

A stipulation of the agreement with NMEDD is that two jobs must be created over the course of three years.

RDR 3/23/12
Unread 03-24-2012, 05:18 PM
VIP Member

Why don't they have passenger RR service between ROW & ABQ?
Unread 03-24-2012, 06:20 PM
VIP Member

Who'd want it? No rail service for passengers has been profitable for a long, long time.....O.L.
Unread 03-24-2012, 07:26 PM
System Administrator

Quote:
A stipulation of the agreement with NMEDD is that two jobs must be created over the course of three years.
$95,000 out of the city funds. What are the benefits to the city for this amount of money spent and why are the city and the NMEDD paying so much more than the railroad?? What kind of business practices are these???

Toni Wiebenga
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

There has never been a track that goes from here to Albuquerque directly. If you went today you would go to Clovis, from Clovis to Belen, and then to Albuquerque.

Many years ago you could go South to Pecos Texas and then to El Paso and then to Albuquerque. The road South now deadends just South of Carlsbad.

Back to the big question, why should the taxpayers pay for a spur for the railroad?
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:03 AM
System Administrator

Well, I don't think it would be for the whopping two jobs created within 3 years, so I don't know the answer to the question.

Maybe you should email the Mayor and ask him...$95,000 is a lot of money, so I really hope there's a good reason.

Toni Wiebenga
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
VIP Member

Five years ago I asked the Chamber why Roswell didn't have a public access rail spur. All spurs are private. If one of the private spurs would allow (for a fee) public access to the main, then the city would not have to subsidize another spur. My question is; who has to pay for maintenance of the spur?
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oladcock View Post
Who'd want it?
Ohhhhh PIFFLE, you ol' stick in the mud!!! I WOULD WANT PASSENGER RAIL SERVICE FROM HERE NORTHWARD HO!!!! (For you people that think "ho" only means a slut, it just goes to show that the educational system of this country has REALLY failed... which in itself is depressing. The various posts on this site of a certain college student who seems to lack perception and intuitive judgment----attest to that.~~~)
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

OOOOOPS!!! Sorry!!!! I seemed to have hijacked saw's identity. The sentiments expressed in the previous post are MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!!!!! NOT THE ORANGUTAN'S.
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:07 PM
VIP Member

LOL! Now how did that happen?! Yep, stick in the mud when it comes to flushing $$$ down the toilet. It'd be one thing if they could run just one little thing efficiently. Don't need another Amtrack, Railrunner, or post office....O.L.
Unread 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oladcock View Post
LOL! Now how did that happen?!
Heh! Heh! Heh! Have no idea... On the other hand, one of the most memorable/enjoyable times of my life was taking a trip to Ann Arbor, Michigan, via Amtrak; that was two years ago. What a hoot!!!! Caught the train in Lamy, NM, at a train station that is approximately 100 years old. Such a great experience...
Unread 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM
VIP Member

According to today's RDR, Roswell will have the only public railroad spur within 800 miles. ( the spur is located at eight and railroad streets)

I don't know how this will affect the city, maybe we can have a "railroad spur festival"

Oh well another $200,000 of taxpayers money spent for special interest groups.

Another $200,000 will go to build that little park on Main St. IMO this also goes for special interest groups
Unread 09-05-2013, 05:34 PM

From what I remember, there was in interest by some local merchants to have merchandise shipped in by rail and then distibuted locally by truck, rather than small multiple trucks shipping in from where ever? I don't know anything about the funding.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:07 PM
System Administrator

Quote:
I don't know how this will affect the city, maybe we can have a "railroad spur festival"
A railroad spur festival? That made me laugh, BIG TIME!

Toni Wiebenga
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM
VIP Member

This weekend you can go to the dragonfly festival at Bitter Lakes! Oooh and aah over fish bait....O.L.
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:44 AM
VIP Member

Lots of RR activity in Vaughn. Long trains loaded & moving. Where are they coming from and where are they going to?

I took the train to CA. Board in ABQ, free meals, sleeper, arrive in CA early morning.

I noticed several people who got on in ABQ Just had regular seating and got off at N.M. stops along the way.

If it's a choice of driving to ABQ, at times on icy roads, I'd prefer a train.

I have no idea why we need a spur since there is no through traffic. How does that benefit the city to the tune of $95,000?
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

There are companies here that want to buy raw materials by the railcar load or some that might potentially locate here if that option is available. Now as most things with government...Will it pan out? I really don't see much difference in a rail spur and a drive/parking lot entrance off a street/road. I think I'd rather see a rail spur than another park or golf course! ...O.L.
Unread 09-07-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Member

There was two or three companies that said it would be helpful to have a spur that would handle the six axle cars. I also think it would be helpful if the city could get some lids for the trash containers. The spur that was there would not handle the new heavy cars.

So far I have not seen any of the six axle cars in this part of the world. I wonder if the track and bridges will handle the six axle cars that goes from here to Clovis. I have not seen any of the six axle cars in Clovis either.

If memory serves me the last of the passenger cars that came thru here was at the end of WW11. Roswell has never had a direct connection with Albuquerque. We did have a direct connection with Clovis and Pecos Texas but the one to Pecos is gone.

There is a pretty nice spur at the airport that no one seems to use.

Vaughn has been a major railroad junction for well over a hundred years. Back in the steam engine days there was a round house , living quarters for track hands, a big repair shop, etc.

There is about 125 trains that go thru Clovis per day and all of those are going or coming from Vaughn plus has a North-South track that goes thru.