Talk Roswell  

Go Back   Talk Roswell > Roswell NM [Discussion Only]: > Roswell City Government Topics:
United States Flag
New Mexico Flag
Home Page TRAC Online News Arcade Radio and TV FAQ/Help Donate Calendar Forum Links
The links above and below are called the (Menu Bar)
Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Notices

Roswell City Government Topics: Questions, Comments and discussion related to Roswell City Government.

*** To help support Talk Roswell PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE. Thank You! ***

Donation Goal
Goal amount for this month: 350 USD, Received: 0 USD (0%)
Donate Now
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO DONATE
Donate to support this site using PayPal. PayPal Your donation will be used to pay for our ever increasing bandwidth costs, our hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, maintenance costs and will help to advertise TalkRoswell. If you want to donate using a Check or Money Order please mail to Talk Roswell 1605 West 2nd Street Suite 2 Roswell, NM 88201. Please include your Forum user name.
Your donation will give you access to (The VIP Lounge) for the same period of time as if you had used the Paid Subscription Area.
Note: No one makes any money from TalkRoswell - all donations will be used for operation and advertising.

Unread 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM
VIP Member

Default 2014 City Elections

Candidates for city elections must declare by Jan. 7, 2014 for the March election.

Councilors changed voting sites in a special session with no public notice.
Are there Minutes of those meetings to see what councilors attended that meeting and how they voted?

Ward 1 incumbent is Dusty Huckabee (hasn't he been involved with some downtown and convention hall bldg screw-up?) Was he or is he still on the city payroll?

Ward 2 incumbent is Craig. Scuttlebutt is he won't run again. Back to lawyering. That ward will have an excellent candidate. OL (if he doesn't run for Mayor).

Ward 3 incumbent is Art Sandoval. What's his record on the Council? The good news is that Judy Stubbs moved out of Ward 3 but she may pop up elsewhere. Is Sandoval worthy of re-election? How often has he been absent.

Ward 4 incumbent is Jason Perry. Go or no go fore re-election?

Ward 5 incumbent is Barry Foster a TR member. How'd he do on the council? Go or no-go? Isn't he the one who's absent alot?

How many of these people have participated in meetings that violated the Open Meetings Act?

How many have done ride-alongs with RPD officers?

We need new people who won't jump in bed with staff because that's the easy way for them to take a position. Just rubber-stamp whatever staff wants.

We have Billy in his new ward maybe giving it another shot. Go Billy!

OL is under orders from the fleet to be a candidate for either Ward 2 or Mayor. Move out smartly OL and you can win. We need you there. You'd be excellent in either position.

Kintigh is running for mayor v. our currrent Mayor Del. The jury is still out on that one? We need someone with good ribbon cutting skills who likes to shake hands with everyone. Somone who will SUPPORT the veterans' cemetery and not create roadblocks. Kintigh goes anywhere anytime to talk to groups. He's in parades, etc. He's everywhere. However, in a public debate I think Jurney would do better. Jurney is a good writer who used to write columns for the RDR that I enjoyed. Kintigh is retired FBI and that impresses people. He's also a veteran.

We must use our persuasion skills to get Daisy to be a council candidate also.
I think she is a sleeper candidate who would be a great councilperson.

The other one with vast knowledge of Roswell is Saw. We sure could use him on the council too.

If you're going to be absent alot from your city political duties for whatever reason please don't even run. We need good attendance by everyone.

Also, there's no law that I know of that prevents police officers from running. We could get some good candidates from RPD, some TR members. We had a good police officer councilman who Mayor Jurney ran off.

The clock is ticking. We need a good slate of candidates ready to declare after the holidays. Wehave to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Default Re: 2014 City Elections

Nope, not going to get me in this one, conflict of interest helping Sheriff Graves in his run for Sheriff. Ward II has 2 folks running, Jerry Heck and I forgot who the other one is? Jason is running and I hear he's got an opponent but don't know who it is. I agree, Daisy run girl run! I guess all this will get fleshed out in Jan....O.L.
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:03 PM
VIP Member

Color me stupid again but I fail to see why managing a sheriff's candidate campaign would be a conflict of interest for you to run for either mayor or councilman. The sheriff is a county position and council is a city position.
You'd make a big difference for the better on the council OL and if Daisy was there with you, and possibly Billy, things would sure be much different. Do it for the gipper.
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:43 PM
VIP Member

The city has a line item on the FY 2014 budget in the amount of $30,000.00 paid to "Main Street Roswell Professional Services". The city also paid out $30,000.00 for these services FY 2013. I think that this equals Dusty (the professional) plus the city is furnishing him a office at the city hall annex.

Main Street Roswell also gets another $100,000.00 plus for festivals, etc from the lodgers tax.

I own property in Roswell (pay taxes but can't vote) but I don't live within the city limits so I can not run for the council and until the city changes its form of government I am not sure why anyone would want to be on the council.
Unread 11-24-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw View Post
I am not sure why anyone would want to be on the council.
So that you can change things for the better
Unread 11-24-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

Exactly, change things for the better. Of course I suppose all council candidates say that as candidates.

Councilman Foster was nice enough to advise me that he has a good attendance record. He has to drive from Clovis to Roswell for the council & comm. mtgs. Presumably he knew that when he ran for Council. That's a real hardship or would be for me. That's also dedication to his council duties and I thank him for that.

Where can we review the attendance records of councilpersons?
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:16 PM
VIP Member

Go to the city's official web site, www.roswell-nm.gov, then pick "meetings & agendas, then pick "city council meeting agenda" then go to "minutes" .

That will tell who was present and who was absent.

Plus you can see what business was taken care of and who supported what.
Unread 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

I went to the website and got as far as "Minutes". I clicked on Roll Call but that doesn't come up. I'd like to check that roll call for two years and compare the attendance records of councilors both at council and comm. mtgs.
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM
System Janitor

Jim here are some of the minutes link. You will need to read at the very top where it starts.

The meeting convened with Mayor Del Jurney ... ... ...

2013 Minutes

Jan 2013
Feb 2013
Mar 2013

The right to criticize government is also an obligation to know what you are talking about.
"Together We Can Make A Difference"
Please don't forget to spread the word about Talk Roswell
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Exactly, change things for the better. Of course I suppose all council candidates say that as candidates.

Councilman Foster was nice enough to advise me that he has a good attendance record. He has to drive from Clovis to Roswell for the council & comm. mtgs.
Does he not live in Roswell?
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:08 AM
VIP Member

I cannot speak for Councilman Foster. He told me he quit his teaching job in Clovis. His family home is in Roswell. He seems to be quite sincere in wanting to fulfill his duties to the people of Roswell.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM
VIP Member

I'm certain he does live in Roswell. I like Councilman Foster, seems to have a good head on his shoulders compared to where some of the others store theirs! ....O.L.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

I wasn't able to find residency requirements for Roswell City Councilors in the city ordinances. I suppose it includes residing in the ward they represent.
In the past it was shown that a city councilor did NOT live in the ward he represented at the time. The powers-that-be at city hall then were made aware of that and nothing was done. He remained on the Council. Like so many other laws and ordinances they're just words on a piece of paper if they're not enforced.
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

SECTION 2-17. WARD BOUNDARIES

(A) Beginning with the March 1986 regular municipal election, each council member shall be a qualified municipal elector, residing within the city and within the ward from which they were elected, or which they were appointed to represent. A council member whose residence changes from the ward they were elected or appointed to serve shall be considered to have resigned their position and a replacement shall be selected as provided by law.

In case you did know each councilman also serves on three committees.. There is twelve committees and nine commissions / boards. These do not include the 24 departments within the city government.
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:48 AM
VIP Member

12-8-13. RDR reports Councilman Perry will run for re-election in Ward 4.
I only saw him once at the Council mtg re the veterans' cemetery and I had a favorable impression of him.
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM
VIP Member

Councilman Perry is not in my ward but he's WAY more reliable than mine are when I need info of any kind. He's very active in the community and seldom will you see him that he's not running warp 9! Yep, he very much respects the vets. Right now he's wearing a brace on his wrist, for a fund raiser a collection was taken to get him on a mechanical bull and he did! The bull won.........O.L.
Unread 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

I respect any councilperson who respects veterans more than aliens. I'm old fashioned about wanting councilpeople to show up for meetings or step aside and let someone else who can take that chair. I'm especially leary of those who are absent on important meetings and votes re veterans.

The flip side to that is if there are any who occupy the chair but don't comprehend what's going on or being voted on maybe we're better off if they're not there.
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:23 PM

There are rumors that there will be someone running against Huckaby (Ward 1) and Foster (Ward 2).

We need new life on the City Council and willing to step up to the plate and willing to make Roswell a place that everyone is proud of. I
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:38 PM

I think it is important that City Councilors remember that even though they represent their Ward, they still represent the entire City of Roswell. Trying to repair/improve/band-aid 30 things is not necessarily the smart way to go, they need to select which priorities will help move Roswell forward.

It is also important to remember that most of the issues that we as a city are facing did not happen over night and will not be fixed overnight. There has to be priorities that will make all of Roswell better not just a specific ward and/or person and/or group.

I also do not believe that just because someone can talk the talk, they need to walk the walk. Doesn't mean that they won't fall from time to time, but willing to get up brush off the dirt and keep going.

Everyone has to get involved! Don't gripe about what is wrong if you are not willing to step up to the plate and get involve to make it better. You don't have to run for office for that to happen either. If you are not a part of the solution you are a part of the problem, even if it isn't directly.
Unread 12-14-2013, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

I think Huckaby has some health problems that he should give priority to.

Foster was absent when the Council heard and voted on the Vets Cemetery.

Those that are absent a lot should just quit and let someone else get in there who will attend all the meetings. I wish we could dock their pay for each absenteeism also. I wish we could recall some as well. We get stuck with them for 4 years.